Sunday, March 18, 2018

Finally a New Wood Splitter

So a few weeks ago I bit the bullet and ordered a Supersplit band wood splitter.  Now I am no stranger to the Supersplit brand, or the kinetic force wood splitters so this was not anything new to me.  I bought my first Supersplit wood splitter a few years back, used. The first one I bought was nothing fancy and it was far from new. 
As you can see my first one was an electric model with a 3/4 hp 120v motor on it.  The original fiberglass cover for the flywheel was all but useless so I made a new one for it out of sheet metal.  It also sits a little lower in the front so it had to be sitting up on a banking or screwed to a few 2x4's   This particular splitter has served me well over the last few years but as I do 10 cord of wood every year and a lot of that wood is quite large, it was starting to get worn out. Not to mention the fact that it is over 30 years old. 
For such a small splitter it would and still will split some pretty amazing logs.  (this picture was taken before I got my LogOx as you can see I am using just a birch hook)  In this picture you can also see the pair of vice grips that I had to use to engage the splitter.

Now on to the New splitter!!  I ordered a supersplit HD model with the gas engine, large work table and tow hitch.  I ordered it direct from the owner of the company and was even lucky enough to call and talk to the owner about my old splitter and the new one.  The splitter is made right in Massachusetts, USA. It was shipped up via Ross trucking and I had to have it delivered to Memco, Inc - the local plumbing supply company.  Tony the owner of Memco was able to load it with his fork lift but my unloading was a little more primitive. 



It does look like it was a bit dangerous unloading but I did plan it that way, having the sideboards placed like that allowed me to slow the splitter down if the need arose.  It came through with everything except for the motor installed and in just over half an hour I had the motor on and was adding the oil and fuel.  The motor is a six and a half hp Honda that starts amazingly.  As well as the motor, I really love the wide pneumatic tires as they roll over things and are much more stable than the old splitter's narrow hard rubber tires. 



Sitting next to each other there is a huge difference.  The new one has a much wider and taller stance that will be easier to work with and the large working platform will make a world of difference. 
                                             Supersplitter First Time Starting and Running
Here it is.  The first startup and first time running.  I couldn't be happier with the speed and the splitting power that this splitter has.  Allyssia is also loving the splitter already and we both think it is miles ahead of our old one.  Be sure to check out the Supersplit website.
                                                            http://www.supersplit.com/
There are a lot of links strewn through this post so make sure to check them out.  Check back often and make sure to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment