Saturday, August 17, 2019

A Good Engine Trailer

Here on the farm I like to contemplate things for an extended period of time so some projects can take a while to come around full circle.  This trailer that I bought last Thanksgiving is no exception.  To refresh anyone that has forgotten, here it is, my Model A truck frame converted to a trailer. 
I finally decided what I wanted to do with the cart so off to building I went.  The main beams for the trailer are cross arms from telephone poles.  I found some these cross arms at my parents that were ten feet exactly.  Once I carriage bolted the cross arms on the frame I took some two by six pine my brother sawed out for me and began to deck it over.
Just putting a decking on it is nothing too special and I want this cart to be special so it gets even heavier!  First thing we do is put the dog on it - that should add some weight!
In all seriousness the next step is to get an engine mounted on the cart and then the roof. One of the hardest parts of this trailer was deciding what engine to put onto it.  Not knowing how hard the engine would go on and off once the roof was on made the decision even harder but I finally settled on the Reliance Air cooled engine.  Once the engine and roof were on the trailer I realized that the air cooled engine was the best possible choice!
Now sometimes it seems like I do not get pictures of the building stage and part of that is due to being distracted doing whatever it is that I am doing and part of it is due to my camera being blurry and the pictures not coming out well.  Here we have the engine trailer and roof completely installed on the trailer.  The roof is five feet above the trailer so that the engine will be easy to service if I need to. 

The plan for out back is to have some license plates across the bottom.  During the winter I am going to wrap the whole thing in mill felt to keep the snow off the engine and keep everything safe.  It is not ready for a parade yet as I have a few more things to add.  The exhaust for the engine needs to be piped up with a tractor flapper and I am looking for an old buckboard seat to go on the front.  For now though I couldn't be happier with how the trailer came out. 
                                                                    Parade Trailer Video
Hope you all enjoyed this post and the video showing off my new project.  Until next time stay tuned and check back often. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment