Monday, November 27, 2017

The Tow boom works, and a massive christmas tree

Projects do eventually come to a close here at the Rusty Gold Farm - at least temporarily.  I succeeded in getting the Tow boom mounted onto the Quadractor and testing it.  The last post I had it mounted but still had to attach some mounting points further forward. 




I mounted an I-hook on both sides of the tractor and anchored two cables from the boom forward.  The cables are taking most all of the twisting motion out of the frame and keeping the boom more solid.



Test runs started with a light duty MTD tractor so there wouldn't be to much strain on the tractor if something was to not work out.  I was able to winch the tractor a total of twenty feet to the Quadractor and then easily lifted the front tires off from the ground for towing. 


I will be making a bolt on tubular steel bumper for when I am towing tractors as they have a tendency to roll forward and bump the tractor.  Speaking of bumpers someone sent me a picture of another Quadractor with a very simple tube style bumper that I really liked and want to build.



We then moved up to hauling the heavier of the garden tractors.  This one is an old Cub Cadet with the cast iron rear end and the Quadractor was able to lift and tow it.  I did have to use the lower attachment point to reduce the leverage and not tip take to much weight off the front end.






Overall The boom works well even though I am not able to use the full length of it.  One thing that is for sure is that it looks pretty sweet. 





 
Its tool time again and today's "tool" of sorts is my Work Tunes.  I have had these work since I was in High school mowing lawns.  I am missing a few of the dials from the hard wear they get but I can still run everything just fine.  













Lastly this week Allyssia has decided that Christmas has arrived.  We went and cut our tree and this is where I realized that no cathedral ceilings are not that great.  We have almost a nine foot tree in our living room....  It had to be decorated with a step ladder!



I may not have enjoyed getting it into the house and set up but Parker sure approves of it.



So until next time stay tuned everyone, and don't forget to let me know what you think with a quick comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment