Sunday, December 3, 2017

Correct fitting tire chains, storage fun and more.

As usual you never know whats going to happen in a week here at the Rusty Gold Farm.  Saturday amidst the running for shavings for the barn, helping Allyssia, and various other tasks I made it over to R.S. Osgood's and Sons in Dixfield to get my tire chains.  The Chains are going on my Bolens Groundskeeper.  Every year when I put the snowblower on I have to work super hard to stretch and bungee cord a set of chains onto the tractor that are to narrow. As a result every year I end up digging through the snow looking for said chain when it falls off.  This year I said enough and bought the correct size chain for the job. 





They were the cheaper set of chains without the big v-Grousers on them because I quite frankly can't afford those.  These chains are heavy duty and seem to be of real nice quality.  Unlike my last set of chains I wont have to bungee cord these on as they are a very tight fit. 











From the back It is a beautiful sight - matching brand new shiny silver chains.  In the install I used a trick I learned where you deflate the tires to get the chains on and re inflate when the chains are tightened to really snug them up.  Once re inflated they don't seem like the chains could go anywhere.









It also looks funny having the weight hanging off the back like that but there is also one in each rim on the rear and a few frame weights inside the rear frame.  Once I get the correct size and length bolt I also have three more weights to put on the outside of the rear frame.  It may seem a little extreme to have that much weight on the rear but the snowblower hanging off from the front weighs almost four hundred pounds and lightens the back end up quite a bit. 







After finishing the tire chains up Allyssia helped me clean out a section of her hay barn that we have already taken hay from to store a certain tractor. 
This will probably be the last we see of the Quadractor until there is a lot of snow to take it out into and test it.  Last year it wasn't really running good enough to test well and it set outside partially tarped but this year it gets an honorary spot in the hay barn. 


Lastly on my crazy run around Saturday I stopped and looked at a tractor that I had seen earlier in the week on the side of the road and got some more info on the beast. 



It's homemade of course so just as rare as it gets.  It is a skid steer prototype that is hydraulic six wheel drive.  It has the bucket shown as well as a four foot blade to go on the front.  The tractor itself is quite simple and unique that I just have to have it.  I have made plans to go pick it up Wednesday evening after work.  The four-wheeler club that owns it said it was running a year ago so it hopefully wont take much to fix up. 


Here it finally is!  I have forgotten to show off my new business cards with you all. They came out excellent and are even two sided.



They are the glossy color cards because I just couldn't resist.  What do you all think?  Stay tuned and drop a comment when you get the chance!






No comments:

Post a Comment