Friday, January 5, 2018

Finally Back to Working on the Rust!!

So I know that I have dropped my "pen and paper" so to speak and the blog has been silent for better than a week but we are still alive here at the Rusty Gold Farm and most definitely making progress. The cold weather has really put a damper on a lot of extra getting done.  I have been working overtime and working late every day to try to stay ahead of the frozen pipes, gelled and frozen fuel systems.  On top of work, snow removal, and helping at the barn I have made some slight progress on a current project and opened a can of worms for another project. 


After what seems like forever I have all of the parts for the engine itself and have it all together and ready to mount onto the tractor.  all the parts were supplied by Adams Small Engine in Livermore.
Adam is a very knowledgeable and extremely helpful small engine guy.  I just recently started going to Adam's and will be a long term customer.  On that engine I put a starter, air cleaner, exhaust, oil filter housing, and lastly the stub shaft that can be seen coming off the flywheel.  I am not using the screen to cover the flywheel because I need to put the LoveJoy coupling so close it would interfere.  The LoveJoy coupling was supposed to be here today but the shipping was delayed due to the storm so it should be here Monday to complete the installation process.  



From the Caterpillar to the next project there is a considerable horsepower difference.  What I am holding in my hand just happens to be a parts engine for one of my tractors.  Yes that's right that little tiny 3/4 hp two cycle engine powers one of my tractors.  It doesn't power just any tractor, it powers my very first tractor that Grampa bought for me. 




 Here is a throwback picture of me back in 2010.  The tractor is my Hiller Yard Hand.  This tractor along with an article was featured in the Gas Engine Magazine.  There is a link to the article under the picture. This tractor is mostly original and the engine needs new rings and hopefully the rings from the parts engine will get the engine working so the Yard Hand can go back into the parades.   https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/Owen-yard-hand  
                                                                      Today's Tool Time!
Today is another special version of tool time here at the Rusty Gold Farm.  I am constantly trying to make life easier with new tools and like to share my experiences.
With the amount of times since I have started doing this little segment I would have to say that the majority of it has been in the Milwaukee tool group. I should be a salesman for them!


Allyssia bought me this Milwaukee M12 battery powered ratchet.  I then had to have some 3/8 sockets so off to Sears I went! Anyways back to the review here.  This week I tried something different and did a video review so everyone can see this tool in action.  Now forgive the video as it's my first real video with my GoPro and I haven't quite figured it out.
 I am trying my hand at a YouTube channel to go along with my blog.  I think it will be a good addition and will make it easier for everyone to view the videos that I post.  That is going to be it for me today, but stay tuned for tomorrow as long as I am not out on service calls all day, I am going to take a few more videos and do some puttering around the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment