Monday, June 18, 2018

A NEW Lawnmower

Now today I don't have the word New in the title capitalized for nothing.  I am trying to tell you all that we have a brand new machine at the house. I am the type that even if an old tractor doesn't leave the finest of cuts or look pretty, I still love to mow with it.  There are times that (even though it doesn't make sense) you spend more time getting the tractor running than you do mowing.  Especially now where we have a huge lawn and I cant just push mow it when my big tractor decides not to run. 

For the last few years I have mowed with my Bolens Groundskeeper.  Not this tractor is a great tractor but it is also from 1968.  It is a tired old tractor and it is rather rigged up to start so Allyssia is not overly attracted to mowing the lawn with it.  Because of that I had been mowing the lawn until all hell broke loose and the mower deck broke down.  I fixed the deck and not ten minutes later the tractor died and refused to start back up.  That of course was the last straw and I vowed that we were going to get a mower that worked consistently with a warranty and then Allyssia could mow the lawn.

After talking to my brother who had just bought a Simplicity, we tested his and decided that was the mower for us!!  After waiting through the long holiday weekend (Memorial Day)  Allyssia and I went to Manchester Motors on Tuesday afternoon.  We didn't even have to test the tractors as we knew what we wanted so, we signed paperwork and bought a zero turn!  Allyssia took the truck and trailer to work the next day to pick it up so that guaranteed that she would be the first to mow with it.
Sure enough I got home and she already had over an hour on the darn thing.  I couldn't even kick her off because I had to hook onto the lawn sweeper with the three wheeler and sweep up the clippings because the lawn had gotten so tall.  I did a little video review of the tractor for any of you looking into a zero turn.  Grampa even went out and bought himself one!
                                                            Simplicity Tractor Review
Even with a brand new tractor in the picture my old Bolens isn't junk yet.  I replaced all of the belts on the mower deck and changed the points and condenser to get the tractor running again and I will continue using it to mow the lower field and the path down to the lower field and stream.  With the six foot cut on my Bolens compared to the fifty two inches on the new Simplicity I can mow the large flat field considerably quicker but around the house the zero turn is much more maneuverable.
          So for the first time ever I think we have a brand new piece of equipment on the farm!
                            As always stay tuned for more excitement and check back often.  

No comments:

Post a Comment