Thursday, June 14, 2018

Not just Another Dead Tractor

So you all must remember a few weeks ago Grampa and I pushed and pulled Old Smokie onto the trailer and hauled it home.  When I got it home I rode Old Smokie off the trailer and with the pickup pulled it into a parking spot to work on it.  The day after Smokie was home I pulled the carburetor off and tore it down to soak in sea foam.  After the carburetor was off it set for almost a week before I continued.  When I did continue I pieced the carburetor back together and tore into the magneto and made sure there was proper spark.  Doing all of that did get Old Smokie running but only temporarily.  The tractor would run just enough to drive around the yard and then die.  Since I only had two gallons of gas in the tank I decided to drain the tank to see if it was a fuel issue.  As I was pulling all of the fuel line apart I saw this - boy what a shock.
The fuel line came out of the tank with a 3/8" ninety and nipple and was plugged solid.  After draining the tank and rinsing it with kerosene and then gas to clean the rest of the debris and rust out I started re-piping the fuel line.  I wanted to get rid of the solid line to make servicing easier.  I did keep it as original as I could and left the sediment bowl but added a fuel filter for extra protection.
Once the fuel line was changed we were in business and I drove around for around half an hour and Allyssia even took a turn on it.  The tractor runs great now and even though the steering is a bit wonky I had it all around the field.  Now that Smokie is running right I have been driving all over the farm with it. 
                                                  Case Model DC A.K.A Old Smokie
Sorry for such a time between posts but we have been busy at the farm here and along with busy we have been tired and out late! As usual check back often and leave a comment when you can!



No comments:

Post a Comment