Thursday, December 6, 2018

Closing in the Front Porch

Home ownership I have found is just one long project that never ends.  On today's segment of the never ending fun I am finishing off my front porch/mud room.  The previous owner framed the porch up and had the windows framed out but, no windows.  When Allyssia and I bought the house I had high hopes of getting the porch closed up quickly and I went out and bought windows.

For the six months after the porch looked just like this, with the windows leaning against the wall inside the porch.  Since it is getting colder and I am remembering how much of a mess 2 dogs and 2 humans with barn boots make, I decided to get my rear in gear and put the windows in and finish that mud room!  Now I have never installed windows before but it was surprisingly easy as long as I had shims and followed the directions.
I am rather proud of myself because I don't think of myself as a great carpenter but I think that these windows came out really well!  Next step is putting the last board around the bottom of the wall and then on to the inside.
The next step (which took until winter) was to put the last board on the bottom of the wall and insulate the room. 

Using Roxul and lots and lots of spray foam - the mud room is finally all sealed up.  I still have to put a ceiling in the room and insulate the floor but I laid plywood on the floor for a sub floor and that sealed up all the cracks and gaps until spring.  This weekend I plan on framing the ceiling up but I am on call so I can guarantee nothing.  Stay tuned as we finish this room off, add heat, and make it into the nicest little mud room possible

No comments:

Post a Comment