Thursday, February 8, 2018

Just a Little Update

Last few days I have been working on a few small odds and ends on the farm equipment.  There have been some small nagging things that I have been avoiding this past week that I was able to cross off and get started on one of the larger more pressing ones.  To start I had to get my Groundskeeper Bolens back in working order.  It had broken a sheer pin last time I used it in this video here.                                    Groundskeeper broken sheer pin
I of course forgot to take pictures of the sheer pin replacement but what I did get pictures of was the cutting edge that was broken on the snowblower.


This is whats left of the cutting edge that I removed from the blower.  I had been running it broken and missing about a foot in the center until I happened upon a new used one.  This old one wore extremely hard in the center probably from our rocky, dirt driveway. 




To mount the cutting edge takes twelve 3/8x2" carriage bolts and two larger 5/8"bolts.  All of the bolts had a flat washer a lock washer and nut.  I bought all the bolts from Tractor Supply because I have found that they sell hardware by the pound and it is a lot cheaper than buying it by the bolt.







You can see the heads of all the carriage bolts and just a tiny bit of the cutting edge sticking out.  It can be adjusted in or out to make up for the edge wearing. 


This edge had already been used and is reversible so I put the new edge down.  I did have to bend the frame of the snowblower back into shape and straighten it out to get the new edge on.  The next slightly larger project was removing the engine from the caterpillar again to take a little bit off from the motor mounts.




I have to take a whooping 85 thousandths of an inch off from the mounts to make the coupling line up correctly otherwise this happens.  
I was just a little bit off on my original calculations and the motor was higher than it should have been and ruined the spider.  While the engine was out it was a perfect time to bring the engine alone to Adam Pike to have it properly tuned up.  He is going to clean the carburetor and fix a few other small problems.  For today that is all for exciting things that has happened so until next time stay tuned and check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment