Friday, June 7, 2019

Another Year of Weeding

As a second summer at our Webster road farm begins so does our garden.  We recently planted our garden and this year came up with some ways to help us keep it a little more weed free.  In an earlier post I had tilled the garden plot with my fathers tractor and tiller but the rain has since packed it back down - so out came old faithful; the diesel Bolens. 
In the far corner of the garden it did struggle a bit because it is still pretty wet but even for a little tractor it can work hard! Once I tilled it up with the Bolens I raked the soil flat and we prepared to plant.  Now planting this year went a little different.  Allyssia brought out her notebook and marked down every row so that we would know what is growing where.  We started with the pre-started plants on one side and to do that I wanted a pair of gloves - Allyssia came home with these nice pink ones for me. 




They fit fine and they did the job they were intended to so I should not complain.  Once I did get over my complaining we got the tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and peppers planted and then started with the seeder.  We bought our push behind seeder last year and it has been the best gardening investment ever. 



Allyssia came up with the ides to use these landscaping timbers to mark the rows, to hopefully keep the weeds down and make weeding easier.  I was going to list off what the rows were in this picture but I can't remember what is in each one.  Luckily Allyssia has a map of the garden to keep me straightened out. 



So there we have it.  Our garden is all in and starting to grow.  Allyssia is watering it daily and it wont be long before the farm stand is stocked with fresh veggies.  Stay tuned and check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment