Monday, March 27, 2017

The little farm stand that could....be crooked

Over this past weekend a new project began here at the farm.  We started the construction of our very own farm stand.  Armed with my favorite DeWalt drill, a brand new skill saw and a pile of lumber from the local sawmill I went to work.  We modeled the farm stand off from a single picture found on Pinterest.  I started off with a 6x6 platform made of 6x6's and 4x4's bolted together with 14" lag bolts.  Once the platform was built, the fun work began. 
      Now to start I am not to much of a carpenter and this was my first real project by myself.  I have found that I enjoy carpentry as a well needed change from the usual weekly plumbing and heating.  I have found that some skills carry over from trade to trade with angles and leveling things. 
The framing went quicker than I anticipated but I did have Allyssia there to help me.  The stand itself as you can see only takes up half of the platform.  this is to accommodate the door that will fold up and so we have a place to put our egg cooler and other buckets of produce.
Next came the boarding, which really solidified the structure and makes it look like the quaint little farm stand it is meant to be.  After that we put some steel roofing on and that's where we found that the roof was crooked by about 1/2 inch. At that point I was at the point of no return so I custom fit the roofing to the roof.  The next order of business was to build a shelf inside. 
Using nothing but a skill saw I custom fit all my boards into place.  Again I say,  I am by no means a carpenter but I am learning quickly. With the amount of work that needs to be done at the barn and house you will see my skills improve but, as of now they are still fairly basic. Stay tuned for the door and other finishing touches on the farm stand!

No comments:

Post a Comment