Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A big thanks

Today I picked up the custom parts for my new Diesel Bolens from Grampa.  Grampa has made countless custom parts for me and helped me rebuild many mower deck spindles and press quite a few bearings in. Grampa has been bringing me to engine shows since I can remember.  It was at one of these shows that he bought me my first ever tractor!  It was a 1954 3 wheeled tractor and it needed a little work.  Grampa fixed it up and I got to drive it at the shows. 
This was the first of many tractors.  Thanks to his help I have also accumulated a few hit and miss engines. 
This latest project that he has helped me with is building a custom bushing and key for the drive pulley on my Diesel Bolens.  The bushing had to bring the pulley from 1 1/4 inch to 1 inch.  He also made a larger key so it would fit in the pulley.
From left to right, the new key, the new brass bushing with a keyway cut in it and the pulley.
Making the new key and grinding it down on the surface grinder. 
Grampa has a full machine shop in his basement with the surface grinder, a milling machine, 2 Lathe's, and a shop press. 
I also have Grampa's old Oliver Oc3 crawler tractor.  This tractor has been at Grampa's for as long as I can remember, but now it is home with me. I hope to get many years of use out of it just like he did! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment