Sunday, September 10, 2017

Getting the first heat out of the firewood.

So over Labor day weekend and through the last week I have been pretty focused on doing firewood.  As seen in an earlier post I had a wheeler load of wood dropped off in the dooryard - quite early in the morning in Allyssia's opinion. Well that pile has been reduced to a pile of saw chips and small sticks.  I made it my personal goal to have the whole pile at least sawed up by the end of the weekend and I did with the exception of one ten foot log. 

That is the aftermath of the log pile.  What's left there is the big chunks of firewood that I didn't want to pick up into the bongo truck.  Now just because the pile is not there doesn't mean that my firewood is done for the year. No I like to handle my wood multiple times, and I have an electric splitter so it has to be near an outlet so we moved what was left after filling under the porch, next to the garage door. 
Between these three piles and the real big stuff that I didn't want to move and the four and a quarter cord's of wood under the porch I should have enough for the winter. 
Last year I figure I only had three cord under the porch here but this year I extended my pile to make the area larger, so that this year we wont run out of wood and have to be scrambling mid winter to find more.  Throughout the five and a half cord of wood I have split so far this summer I still am yet to find a log that my little electric super split wont take care of.  I did have to rewire the plug this last week because the frame was shocking me and the power supply wire had chafed so bad that there were only a few strands left holding.  Other than the wire and the occasional lubrication the splitter has been very problem free.  This winter though I plan on servicing it and putting an actual handle on it rather than the vice grips that I have on it now. 
As far as firewood hauling goes I used the bongo truck a lot but Jacob helped quite a bit and I would like to give a lot of credit to this little tractor that hauled quite a charge of wood with my ten dollar silent auction trailer.  This tractor and trailer are next on the list so soon you will all see the newest additions and modifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment