Thursday, August 23, 2018

You Win some, and You Lose Some

I still have a lot to tell about last weekend but today there is a layer of more pressing matters, and I have video to upload from the weekend, I just haven't gotten around to it.  On the most recent "adventures" my parts came in for the drive line on the truck.  Since I had already taken a Dremel tool to the drive shaft ends to make sure they were smooth, the U-joint caps went in quite easily.  The new slip yolk was a perfect match.  Once in I poured a fresh 3 quarts of ATF into the transfer case and took it for a test run. 
The transmission shifts so smoothly and the truck is in tip top running shape.  I am so thankful that nothing worse happened and that I am able to do most of my mechanic work on my own.  Now onto the worse news that I have to share.  If you have been following along than you know that I moved Grampa's old Oliver Oc3into the garage, If you haven't been following along you should step back and read some of the older posts about the Oc3.  Anyways, I have been trying to time it and get it running to push the manure pile and maybe snow this winter - but it wouldn't crank over well.  Upon pulling the head I found some rust and carnage. 





For those that don't know, Rust in an engine is not a good thing.  The amount of rust that was on top of each piston was quite considerable and the worst thing was the number 1 piston has a crack across the top.  Finding the crack was quite disheartening but the good news out of this is that Grampa has another engine that is a direct fit.  The engine he has is worn out but was still running when he pulled it so I should be able to pull this engine and at least have a running machine. As I found the crack in the piston I wasted no time and started pulling the engine.  That night the tractor was torn down so that the engine just needs to be lifted out and the new one dropped in. 










The thing I love about these older tractors is that there are very few sensors and extras on them.  The hardest part on this engine was removing the engine mounts because my creeper wouldn't fit under the tractor because it is too wide.  I am now looking for a engine hoist to lift this engine out and drop the new one in with.  I may go down to Harbor Freight and buy one but I haven't decided yet.
  In other news, I am going to a small engine show/fly in this weekend.  More on that tomorrow.  I guess that's enough bad news for tonight.  Hopefully this weekend will fare well and I can have the engine out of the Oc3 and get it moving along back to running shape.  As always I appreciate every one of my readers and hope you keep coming back and please leave your feedback on our Facebook page.
                                                 https://www.facebook.com/Rusty-Gold-Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment