Monday, November 19, 2018

A Workshop

Farm mechanics know donning your workshop in the form of cover-alls, a bomber hat, heavy mittens and a scarf is not a pleasant experience.  Trying to hold small parts in gloved hands or better yet having fingers that you cant feel, all while trying to install the smallest nut or screw that is of the utmost importance and nearly irreplaceable is basically impossible.  All of us have been there and know what I speak of.  Some of us have been there for our work whether it be plumbing and heating or operating and doing maintenance on your own log truck.  Then there are those of us who also subject ourselves to that very same cold for the sake of our hobby.  I fall into both of these categories.  Though I may complain about the cold, and let me tell you I sure can complain, I still venture back outside to work on my equipment in the cold. 
If you've been following the farm right along I'm sure you remember this, replacing the engine on the caterpillar mid winter in the snow.  If you are new to the farm blog be sure to read back through and feel free to comments on any of the previous blog posts.  Luckily the pictures for the blog are all taken by me - otherwise they would all show me waddling around with my many layers, cussing at the snow while digging through it for the one nut that disappeared and sunk all the way to the ground.  Some of this trouble came to a halt when Allyssia and I bought our house.  Since Allyssia was getting the huge barn for her horses, (I still think that there is room for tractors and engines to fit in with them) I completely claimed the garage.  Having a garage keeps me out of the wind and snow and is an amazing improvement.  This winter (so I can work in a few less layers) I am installing a furnace.




Some of you may recognize this as a trailer furnace.  I got this from work in good condition and decided to work smarter this winter.  I have it set up to just be plugged into an extension cord and away we go.  I still have to pick up the smoke pipe and tie that in, but the hardest part is done and next time I work outside I will be warm.  Having a warm shop may even temp Allyssia to come work with me a little but we will see about that!
 Until next time - stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment