Wednesday, April 11, 2018

And a Few Days Later, Unloaded at Home

Sunday we made it home from Pennsylvania late in the afternoon.  Cricket was just overjoyed to see us and almost couldn't contain her excitement (and neither could Allyssia).  This is only her second time being away from us for more than the day and the first time since being in the new house. 
She even came to help unload and welcome the new tractor.  I was in a bit of a predicament unloading the Quadractor as I don't have a big enough tractor to lift it up like we did when loading it.  I decided to unload it using a chain fall from the rafters of Allyssia's indoor arena.




The Quadractor came home with the side covers strapped on but they had to be removed for the unloading process.  With the side and front panels off I was able to use some three inch tow straps to lift it.  Now the rigging was not amazing but as you can see it held up and lifted the Quadractor very evenly up.
                                                 Success Unloading the New Quadractor
After getting it out of the truck the front tires had to go back on and having it slung from the ceiling was the perfect time to do it.  I was able to work at an ideal height. 


Now some of you might notice that I tied a knot in the straps to make them shorter so that my chain fall would lift it high enough. If your not careful this can ruin your strap and make that know near impossible to get out.  What I do in cases like this is place a small chunk of dowel into the center of the knot when tightening it up and then it can be pulled out after dong what you need to do. This leaves you with some slack to loosen the rest of the knot. I probably wouldn't suggest this when picking up real heavy items but the Quadractor weighs less than 500 pounds so it didn't bother the straps. 





Side note here, It looks like Allyssia's indoor is full of my junk but that was all temporary while we were gone to keep it all out of the snow and under cover. 









Another thing to note is that the straps were held under the machine on their correct ends so that they could not slide to the center and let the Quadractor flip.  Again I must say just how surprised I am that it unloaded as easily as it did.  I was worried that it was going to be a production and was thinking about taking Grampa up on his offer to bring it there and unload it from the truck with his tractor and set it on the trailer. 



When it was finally unloaded it needed to be removed from the indoor and what better tool to use to move a Quadractor, than a Quadractor!  With the tow truck boom on my running tractor it was a cinch to pull the new Quadractor over in front of the garage so that I can work on it. 
And finally the three point hitch.  This was a big part of why I wanted this tractor is for the hitch.  I will end up putting that on my running machine.  I might even attempt to turn this Quadractor into a runable machine but that is a decision for another day,  As for me I am just happy to have it home and have a second Quadractor.  Stay tuned later this week when I have my wood splitter review and I split some real logs with it to show off my modifications to it.  Stay tuned and check back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment