Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Moving forward on the caterpiller!

Despite the motor throwing a rod in the caterpillar (that is what we decided to name the new skid steer) we are moving forward it.  Yesterday with the help again of my borrowed Milwaukee post light I was able to pull the old Briggs & Stratton single cylinder engine out so I can get an accurate measurement and possibly test a few engines into the engine bay. 
There wasn't much on this engine holding it in except the four engine mounting bolts the fuel lines one wire to the coil and the throttle cable..  It may be a single cylinder engine but a sixteen horse cast iron Briggs is exceptionally heavy.  I had a hard time lifting it out alone but was able to use a 2x6 to slide it out of the tractor.








The engine bay is fairly roomy and I hope to fit a sixteen horse v-twin into the engine bay.  The v-twin it a shorter engine with a top mounted carburetor.  I should be able to use the same gas tank and mounting location and only have to move the small frame that goes around the two pumps.  Tomorrow I am going to pick up the v-twin to test fit it before buying it.  We will have some test fit pictures tomorrow thanks to the post light again. 
The other project that has been occupying a bit of my free time has been has been a little snow blower.  Its an old simplicity with a 5 hp engine.  Mice had chewed the coil wire and ruined the coil so I bought a new style Magnetron coil that bypasses the points and condenser all together so I didn't have to remove the flywheel. After about five minutes of cleaning and installing I had perfect spark.  





Usually I would have to pull the flywheel and replace the points, condenser and wires running under the flywheel and put it back together and if it was wrong have to take it all back apart to re-adjust.  I now have the carburetor and fuel tank off and have them both soaking in carb. cleaner as they sat with old gas in them for so long. 
The new coil is on the right and it is wider because it has a computer like assembly that takes place of the points and condenser. It would be nice to have this project back together and delivered to its owner by the end of the weekend.  Otherwise everyone stay tuned for next time more videos to come.





1 comment: