Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Diesel 1050's first winter

Today between the hectic running around, fixing fence that Tee seems to be constantly breaking, and Christmas shopping; Allyssia had a little bit of time to come get a video of the Diesel 1050 plowing snow with the new dustpan plow. 
The little dustpan is something I picked up when I was on a tractor retrieval run while in school.  I had taken my fathers truck to Portland for the week with the plan to drive down to Eliot for a tractor.  After arriving and seeing the tractor the older gentleman asked if I needed any attachments to go with my other tractors.  I of course can never say no to a tour and gladly said yes.  I ended up with this plow along with a few others and a ground plow.  I still have no idea what this plow originally went on.  To make it work I cut the original bracket off and welded on a Bolens snowblower bracket.  I also modified a lift arm so that the plow could have good down pressure to scrape well.   
Because of the angle of the plow I am able to move along at a decent speed plowing.  The speed also helps the snow roll off the side of the plow in the direction that it is supposed to.  Most Bolens plows have a trip mechanism in case you hit something solid, this plow has no trip mechanism.  The plow can also be turned the other direction with just a few easy pins. 






This tractor has surpassed my expectations for a tractor of this size and I think it is very much due to the 10hp diesel motor.  It always has enough power to push and with the AG style tires it hasn't needed chains, though I do have a pair for it. 







Lastly this evening I drained the oil from the new Briggs & Stratton V-Twin and removed the original oil filter housing.  The next step is to get the remote oil filter kit and the new starter installed.  The plan before those show up is to get the Love-joy coupling hooked onto the flywheel and start mounting the motor into the frame. 

I am really excited to be building this project so be prepared to see a lot more of the caterpillar in the next few blog posts and like the Quadractor, you will see it very often once it is running right.    Until next time stay tuned and leave me a comment if you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment