Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The caterpillar saga continues

So as I said earlier the Caterpillar saga is going to be a long one and you will be seeing a lot of it in the future.  Now on to the progress!  I tore into the old engine out of curiosity to see how much damage had been done.  This particular Briggs & Stratton has a removable oil pan so I was able to just pull four bolts and drop the oil pan out. 




I drained the oil and chunks of steel out of the oil drain and then started sorting out the larger chunks.  The connecting rod was in three pieces and the crank was scored quite deep. 






After pulling the head off I got the piston out the top of the cylinder.  The cylinder was not scored and surprisingly the block was not damaged either.  If I can I am going to try to sell the block and other parts.


On a good note I test fit the engine into the engine bay and it does fit with the filter off.  I have ordered the remote filter, starter, and the newest piece that I found myself needing.




This engine has no crankshaft sticking past the flywheel nut so I need to get what they call a stub shaft.  It bolts on with the two bolt holes in the flywheel and covers and locks the nut in place.  It sets back the installation process a little bit but not much. 



The test fit found me having to cut a little bit of the crankshaft off from the opposite end to make it fit and not hit the hydraulic oil filter.  I am starting to see that the filters seem to be my main problem. To make the engine line up I am also going to need to raise the engine up around a half of an inch.  Grampa has some half inch by one and one half inch pieces of flat aluminum that will work perfect for the motor mounting plates.  I love working with Aluminum for the ease of drilling and widening holes. 

This last photo of the night is just a closer picture of the pump coupling and the starter cup that is representing the other side of the coupling for the mock up purpose.  With this engine being so much lower I might be able to make a simple hood to cover it and keep it out of the weather. 

Until next time the Caterpillar will still be here and so will I.  Stay in touch and let me know what you think.




No comments:

Post a Comment