Monday, March 4, 2019

All projects come around

With the carburetor for the Galloway at the machine shop to have the valve seated properly I decided to shift gears back to getting it running.  Besides the carburetor leaking gas badly the Galloway has low compression.  I know its hard to believe that an engine this old has low compression but it is true.  I started my search when I got this engine home and I filled the hopper with water and fired the engine up to look for bubbles in the water.  The bubbles would indicate a leak in the head or in the water jacket and luckily I had no bubbles.  So tonight I fired up my furnace and went to work. 
Parts started flying off left and right beginning with the head.  Once the head was off I checked the intake and exhaust valves and everything looked well seated.  I also cleaned the bore out with a rag and checked for scoring or scratches and to my delight found none.  Next up was to remove the piston!

After finding everything in acceptable condition I was expecting to find a stuck ring on the piston but much to my dismay all three of the rings were free.  After some de-greasing and cleaning I decided that leaving it assembled would be better so I began putting it back together.  After reassembly I found the compression to be the same as before.  Not to sound disappointed but I didn't find anything wrong other than the cylinder and rings are just very worn.  I am not giving up and am looking into my options so be on the lookout for more on the Galloway as it progresses.  As always stay tuned and check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment