Sunday, March 10, 2019

Working through the Discouragement.

 Everyone that has been reading my blog since we moved into the new house knows how long the saga of the Oliver has gone on.  I would be lying if I said that it wasn't discouraging at times. Some projects I have to just walk away from for a short time and that is why I have always had multiple projects going. I have been avoiding the Oliver after the last time trying to start it because I was just so disheartened by it. I worked on some other projects until this last week when I decided to try a few more things to Oliver.  To start off I decided that it would be easier to diagnose if the engine was warm when I first tried to start it rather than trying to limp it along and get it to warm up naturally. 
When I pulled the freeze plug where the block heater was going I had a good charge of sludge in the heater sump.  With a little time the sludge flushed out and I was left with a clean block heater sump!  On the engine that was replaced there was a different heater that was connected between the sump and the head.  I was going to drill and tap the plate that was originally there to fit this new style heater but luckily found a better way. 
When I brought the yellow plate into work to drill and tap it one of my co-workers suggested I try a calculator flange.  With just a little ovaling of the bolt holes the flange fit perfectly.  After that I was home free.  I was able to save the Gasket and used a bit of perma-tex to make a good seal and filled the engine back up with no leaks.  I did test the block heater after it was in but did not get to try the engine as the magneto is currently on the bench being cleaned and tested.  I am hoping that the Magneto is part of the problem and I will have the Oliver pushing snow and manure soon.  Until next time stay tuned and check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment