Sunday, April 28, 2019

Repurposing a Broken Tool

This weekend I decided while cleaning the shop out that I would finish a project that I had started getting the parts for almost two years ago.  The parts for this project kind of fell into my hands when we had an air compressor go bad at work.  We tried to fix the compressor but it was going to cost more to fix the compressor than just buy a new one so this one was destined for the junk pile.  Before it his the junk pile I snatched up the air tanks and hauled them home.  The tanks set in the basement until we moved and then they sat in the garage until this weekend when I decided that I wanted a portable air tank. 
With a quick trip to O'Reilly's I had everything I needed to make the air tank functional.  Now with all things I could have just stopped there but I didn't want just an ordinary air tank.  Had I wanted an ordinary air tank I could have bought one at a yard sale.  This air setup had to have its own toolbox to go with it.  I searched around the house and couldn't find a suitable toolbox so I asked Grampa when we were over there and he sent me home with an ammo can which fits perfectly. 
The ammo can is big enough to fit a coil style hose, a can of fix er flat and some assorted tools.  The best part is that it is still waterproof.  Using the old mounts for the air compressor I bolted on some angle iron just a little wider than the ammo can.  Then I drilled and tapped two holes in the angle iron and used a couple of bolts as set screws to hold the can in place.  The ammo can is held on there solid enough that I can pick the whole air tank up by the ammo can.  So there we have it, my repurposed portable air tank.  Let me know what you think and as always check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment