Monday, April 1, 2019

Sick at Home Thinking About the Garage

Much to my displeasure I woke up this morning and had to call out sick from work.  With a chest cold and a constant cough I knew that if I went to work I would stay sick.  So from my spot on the couch I figured I would continue on the saga of the Oliver.  I want to preface by saying that there is progress being made but it is very slow progress and it is very frustrating as well.   After the last time trying to run the Oliver I asked on an Oliver forum for opinions and got a resounding response that it was still in the carburetor.  Not knowing what else to do I followed the advice of one of the forum members and bought an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the carburetor in.  Ultrasonic Cleaner.
So The Ultrasonic Cleaner is nothing to o special but with a cup of simple green mixed with the water it is amazing the amount of gunk it can take off a part that you think is already clean.  After running the carburetor through multiple cycles the water had turned brown.  After that I blew all of the passageways out with the air compressor and finished putting it back together.  Running on another response from the forum I pulled the intake and exhaust manifold off and replaced it with one that I knew was good.  With that all done and the Carburetor re-installed I plugged the block heater in and tried again.  This is not the feel good ending that I am looking for because the Oliver did start beautifully and idled like a charm it still has problems when under load, just check out the video and see for yourself. 
                                                     Oliver test run!
I am stepping back and starting fresh by rebuilding the spare carburetor that I have and then I will try that.  Until the new kit comes in and I have time to do the rebuilding of the carburetor the Oliver will be sitting idle in the garage.  Hopefully I will be over this chest cold and be back to work tomorrow but I wont be doing much this week after work except for resting up.  So stay tuned and check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment