Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Allyssia's Hay Room

I am blogging into this project halfway through because quite frankly I started it quite suddenly and it moved along so flawlessly.  I started out this project with two twelve foot six by sixes to span the distance of the first bay in the pole barn.  Allyssia would like the whole barn back there but Old Smokey has to have a place to winter so the middle is off limits. 
As I said this first picture is a ways into the project but I got distracted and forgot about the pictures I should have been taking.  The six by sixes are especially heavy and were a bit difficult to work with but with proper leverage and blocking they are level and bolted to the upright posts of the pole barn as well as set on stacks of cinder blocks.  I went through a lot of cinder blocks on this project because each of the four stacks has two blocks buried under ground and two or three above ground.  I will have to repeat this process on the other side when I build the floor for the shavings bin and more hay storage.
Under this end of the beam there is now a stack of blocks holding it as well as it being bolted to the upright timber.  After the beam was supported it was on to flooring.  Luckily I told the previous owners to leave anything behind that they didn't want and so I ended up with enough 2x10's to floor most of this hay room. 





Towards the front I had to supply my own lumber but for the most part the flooring is all from the previous owners!  Once the floor was done I moved onto building a wall.  I did not do a conventional sixteen inch on center mainly because I only had four tall 2x4's but also because it is just for the hay to rest against and it isn't holding anything up. 



Allyssia and I also decided that the boards on the wall side are going to be spaced so we can use less lumber.  This will work out fine because the wall is just there to keep the tractors from falling on the hay - or is it the other way around?  Anyway, I plan on finishing the wall up this week so there will be updates to come. Until then stay tuned for the finished hay room project and a peak at the newest toys I acquired.

No comments:

Post a Comment