Friday, July 27, 2018

How Long Will This Hay Room Take

With Allyssia gone and me doing all of the horse chores and everything else I have been getting in late and not having time to blog.  I didn't realize how much there is to do around here and I really understand how much Allyssia does. 
 While carpentry is not my strong suit I seem to do a lot of it,  With a horse farm the woodworking never seems to end I am just lucky that none of it is finish carpentry.  I did do the floor in the kitchen and bathroom and it came out well but I much prefer rough carpentry and mechanic work.  For most of my barn work I use rough cut hemlock and pine boards.  The pine is often sawed by none other than Grampa and the hemlock comes from Dimension Lumber.  I do however use use kiln dried 2x4's because they fit in joist hangers and are easier to work with.  That being said with hemlock 6x6's and some 2x6's I have the floor area completely framed up. 
In the foreground of the picture you can see my floor boards for the hay and shavings bin.  I should have enough there to do most of the floor if not all of it. 
I was a little short with lumber for the floor so my father who is replacing his deck is giving me all of the old decking boards to finish up the rest of it.  This whole side has been done with nails that the previous owner left for me.  I still have boxes of 8 and 16 penny nails left. 
The studs for this wall were also left here by the previous owner.  I need to board that wall up but I ran out of pine boards.  What you see is Mill felt that came from up in my barn in Peru.  I am using the mill felt to keep the shavings from going through the boards. 

The top view of the shavings bin you can see the felt comes up both sides.  I went this route because it was the easiest and plywood is really expensive and the building is not square so it I would have to custom fit each and every piece. 

I will eventually get the boards to finish the wall.  Until then there are so many more projects to show you guys.  Stay tuned and check back often for more posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment