Saturday, July 14, 2018

Slowly Chugging Along

I have not been up any big projects lately with the hot weather. What I have done is start a boatload of small projects that I can come and go to as I please.
Most recently, I ordered my 6x6s and 4x4s to build the floor in the second part of the pole barn.  The beams are being custom sawed so I had to put that project on hold until they are ready, then I will have to pick up my joist hangers and 2x6s for the floor and get to work. 

I also started tearing into the new four wheelers because I was waiting on the parts for Allyssia's four wheeler.  I didn't get much done on them before I got distracted by yet another project.

This is a project that I could not stay away from, Old Smokey and my sickle bar mower!  I got my new and improved Pittman arm ends back from Mid State Welding and they are better than the originals.  I had to drill all new holes but I found that to be a good thing because I was able to put the holes where they needed to be to strengthen the ends and I used bigger bolts on both sides.  It took three tries to get the Pittman arm the right length mainly because I was trying to make it as long as possible without hitting anything to give extra support to the Pittman arm ends. 
Finally after weeks of testing and breaking it - I greased, tightened and checked everything once more and I was able to mow the pasture! Even though I had run it a little before it is still hard to get used to running a sickle mower, especially one this old. 
But, I was able to make it look like I knew what I was doing and I even mowed some of the empty field areas in addition to the pasture pictured above. 
After knocking down all of this hay I am not sure what to do with it all.  I need a rake and a cheap baler so that I can make some mulch hay at least. For now though, I am just glad to have a running mower and that I have Old Smokey to run it.  This isn't the last you have seen of Old Smokey and the sickle mower but for now it is a check off the list!
(Allyssia is SUPER happy it is finally done!!! ;-) )
So until next time stay tuned and check back often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment