Wednesday, May 2, 2018

The Farm Life.....

Today the saying "A farmers work is never done" rings quite clearly on the farm.  Last Sunday when Allyssia left the house at four thirty AM she texted me saying that there was no power in the barn.  No big deal, I figured something must have tripped the breaker.  So Sunday morning I did chores without lights and went on my merry way not thinking about the power until around six that night.  At six just before Allyssia got home I opened the electric panel in the barn and found all breakers in the on position - no problem it must be tripped in the house.  I checked in the house but still had no power.  At this point Allyssia was home and we did chores by flashlight ate dinner and went to bed.
                                                        F.A.T Electric Facebook page
 Monday Tony Flag from F.A.T Electric came and determined that our wire was broken in the ground. 
After that diagnosis we rented a metal detector in hopes of finding the wire and digging it up with no luck.  The yard looked like a giant gopher came through with multiple holes four to six feet deep. 




At this point after digging for hours we are ready to get a backhoe and run some conduit and a new wire because we have no lights in the barn and can't put horses out to pasture which is my next topic of business. 



In all of my other spare time I have pounded over one hundred t-posts all around the field in twelve foot increments.  I have also put top insulators and middle insulators on all of these t-posts.  Allyssia helped me string the tape around the first pasture and we went through over six hundred feet of tape. Allyssia is supposed to mark the next pasture and with two of us working we can drive t-posts real quick.
Both of tonight's topics are just teasers of what is to come because the new wire to the barn is going to be a pretty big job and the fencing never ends.  So check back often and leave me a comment to let me know how I am doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment